In today’s technological age, we’re coming to depend more and more on our electronic devices. Our phones, laptops, and TVs have a special place in our hearts. We’ve convinced ourselves that we can’t live without them. Aside from our crucial and beloved devices, there are our household appliances/necessities—washers, dryers, microwaves, and other machines that we’ve come to rely on. And what about our lights? We need our overhead lights to see what we’re doing. The common factor of these necessities is electricity. We can’t get around it—electricity powers our lives. Electricity is good, right?
Well, too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. If there’s an upswing in the amount of electricity flooding into our homes, it can lead to a power surge. Basically, a power surge happens when the amount of voltage pouring into our devices or appliances surpasses the safe level for our home and overloads it with electricity. While not all power surges spell death for our devices, there’s a definite possibility that they will leave our electronics fried.