What would you do if you were hit with a liability suit for more than your current insurance covered?
Here at InsuranceHub, we have experience helping:
- Churches - Ministers, Pastors, bishops, Priests, Reverends
- Mosques - Imams
- Synagogues - Rabbis
Religious leaders must take the time to understand the risks and do everything within their power to prevent them from ever happening. This means taking the time to:
- Setup policies and procedures
- Educate your staff and volunteers
- Enforce them
- Have an open door policy where anyone is welcome to express safety concerns
Top 9 Reasons Churches Get Sued:
- Children being abused: Background checks are a must to prevent children from being abused emotionally, physically and sexually. Closely supervise anyone that works with children. Take all reports of abuse seriously.
- Report to all abuse: Parents are counting on you to protect their children. Report all abuse to the authorities.
- Sexual harassment of Employees and parishioners
- Counseling: As a shepherd your flock may come to you for help and advice. Remember that you are not psychiatrists or psychologists. Take any wild talk about suicide seriously. Encourage them to get professional help immediately. Have suicide hot line numbers available for them to call. Document all conversations having to do with suicide.
- Misappropriation of church funds
- Church safety Inspections: Perform annual safety inspections of your facilities. Inspect floors for cracks, holes and tears that could cause tripping hazards. Check emergency and exit lighting. Are all stars and banisters in safe working order? Are exterior lights and parking lights operational?
- High risk activities: Some churches sponsor activities to keep their young people active. Avoid all high risk activities that could cause falls and injuries.
- Property disputes: Including eminent domain, restrictive covenants, and religious discrimination in the rental or sale of property.
- Affordable care act: Pastors and employees are mandated to obtain health coverage
Types of exposure that Religious Institutions need to protection from:
Many houses of worship have additional buildings and facilities that open them up to liability issues, such as:
- Reception halls
- Play grounds
- Youth programs
- Full time schools
- Install monitored burglar fire alarms for your building
- Have fire extinguishers ready especially if you have kitchen areas.
- Expensive sound and video systems make it tempting for thieves to steal them.
- Only hire licensed electricians to perform work here so that all wiring is up to the safety code.
- Do back ground checks on all employees.
- All collections should be counted by two individuals.
- Make daily bank deposits for all tithes and contributions.
- Require 2 signatures for every check disbursement.
- Install a security system
- Conduct regular book audits
Inland marine exposure: Includes items used off premises that can be damaged in transit or stolen, such as
- audio-video equipment
- fine arts
- mobile equipment
- musical instruments
- valuable papers and records (for charters and donations).
Premises liability exposure:
- This is where your annual safety inspections will help you. Stairways, railings, and floor coverings should be in good condition. Make repairs immediately to prevent tripping and falling.
- All public and life safety standards must be met.
- Is there enough emergency lighting in case of a power outage?
- Are all exits clearly marked and accessible? Are exit lights operational?
- Clean snow and ice immediately to prevent slips and falls.
- Conduct background checks on anyone working with children.
Professional liability / counseling exposures: Counsel only within your area of expertise and licensing.
- Do you provide cars for your clergy?
- Does your faculty run errands using church vehicles?
- Do you have a bus / van that picks up parishioners for church services or trips?
- Check motor vehicle records for all employees / volunteers that drive.
Workers compensation exposure: Talk to your agent to see regarding workers comp laws in your state.
What is the minimum insurance that you need for your church?
- Business Personal Property
- Business Income and Extra Expense
- Employee Dishonesty
- Money and Securities
- Valuable Papers and Records
- General Liability
- Employee Benefits
- Directors and Officers Liability
- Hired and Nonownership Auto
- Workers Compensation
Other religious insurance coverages to consider:
- Equipment Breakdown
- Computer Fraud
- Fine Arts
- Musical Instruments
- Commercial Articles Floater
- Cyber Liability
- Employment-related Practices
- Business Auto Liability and Physical Damage
- Stop Gap Liability
How to get a free religious institution insurance quote:
We offer a complimentary insurance consultation for synagogues, mosques and churches. Our team takes the time to understand your situation, risks and specific industry related liabilities and challenges. Contact us today at (877) 341-5728 to schedule your free, no strings attached, church insurance consultation today.