Getting auto insurance is perhaps easier said than done. You might have been trying and trying to get car insurance only to run into brick wall after brick wall. So, after all the dead ends, this is the question on your mind: What do I do if I can’t get car insurance? You need car insurance to actually get your car on the road. But you might be at a loss because no matter how hard you try, you can’t get car insurance.
Well, we’ve got good news.
We’ll explain why you might be having issues getting car insurance and where you can go to get car insurance.
Why you might not be able to get car insurance:
Insurance companies are not exactly crazy about risk. They tend to shy away from providing insurance to drivers they deem “high-risk” or likely to get into an accident and file a claim. So, unfortunately, if you fall into the category of “risky”, you might be running into the “I can’t get car insurance” problem.
Anyways, here are some reasons traditional insurers might not be crazy about insuring you.
- You have a bad driving record.
- Things like accidents, traffic violations, speeding tickets, and DUIs all indicate risky driving. (Your driving record is one of the factors that affects your car insurance rates, too.)
- You own a fancy car.
- If you have a high-performance vehicle, you may have a tough time finding insurance.
- You live in a high-risk area.
- Your car could be at more risk of theft, vandalism, or damage if you live in a high-risk area.
- You’ve had gaps in insurance coverage.
- You may have a tough time finding car insurance if you’ve had coverage lapses in your car insurance.
Protect your car & save money. Get a quick auto insurance quote today.
Where can I get car insurance if standard companies won’t insure me?
You’ve got a couple options if you can’t get car insurance from a traditional car insurance company.
1. Go to the state’s assigned risk pool.
Many states require that drivers carry insurance, which is an issue if a driver can’t get car insurance. However, the states can assign drivers to insurance companies who are part of an assigned risk pool. So, you’d solve the problem of not having insurance if you used one of these companies. But be forewarned – the premiums can often be quite high.
You can find out about your state’s assigned risk pool (or the equivalent in your state) by going to your state’s insurance department.
2. Check out a private insurance company that writes “high-risk” insurance.
There are some insurance companies that write insurance for people who are considered to be high risks. These can be called non-standard companies.
These companies often work with drivers who have less-than-stellar driving records. They also work with drivers who have high-performance vehicles. Non-standard companies may write insurance in higher-risk areas that other insurers will not.
You may be able to get broader coverage through a non-standard insurance company than through a state-assigned risk pool, so it’s worth looking into. Your state’s insurance department can help you find non-standard insurers that write in your area. If you can’t get car insurance elsewhere this is a viable option.
If you’re having trouble getting affordable car insurance, we can help. Our agents can help you shop for the best possible rate for your insurance. To get started with your quotes, give us a call or fill out our online form.