When it comes to disasters, 50% of small businesses are making the mistake of not having an emergency disaster response and recovery plan. Is your business guilty of making this mistake?
Did you know that each year thousands of small businesses like yours are struck by disaster?
- Power outages
A 2011 Wells Fargo poll on disaster preparation and planning for small businesses found:
- Only 31 percent of business owners said their company was “extremely” or “very prepared” for disasters
- 54 percent said they were not concerned about a disaster impacting their business.
Now, here we are in 2016. Human nature hasn’t changed much. Over half of small businesses are still not prepared. How about you?
Since 1 in 5 small businesses are affected by disaster each year, pay close attention!
Sadly, the Insurance Information Institute estimates that 40% of businesses do not reopen after a disaster and another 25 percent fail within one year, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
Take the time to set up a disaster preparation plan today. No one expects a disaster. And, if it ever comes, you can bet that the business owner will say, “I wish i would have prepared for this!”
Don’t be a statistic.
Begin Your Fast & Free Business Insurance Quote
Risk management experts recommend you do the following immediately in case of a disaster:
Write an emergency response plan for during an emergency.
- Train employees how to use the emergency response plan.
- Set up monthly drills to reinforce the training.
- Learn from the drills and improve your emergency plan.
- A list of emergency phone number contacts
Question: Do I have a written emergency response plan?
Emergency response supplies
- Store emergency response supplies in an easy to get to place
- Order things like first-aid kits, flashlights, heavy gloves and battery powered radios.
- Do all of your employees know where these are kept?
Question: Do I have emergency supplies on hand now?
Emergency backup resources
- Do you have a UPS for your computers and phone& internet access?
- Do you check emergency and exit lighting monthly to make sure they work?
- Do you have solar or a generator for backup emergency power?
- Is all of your important computer information protected, backed up on hard drives or the cloud?
Question: What can i do today to back up my resources?
The choice is yours. Sit back and wait for something bad to happen or start preparing today.
Your insurance pros at InsuranceHub are ready to help you today. Pick up the phone and call us today.