Commercial Truck Insurance in Texas

Do you need insurance for your trucking company in Texas?

commercial truck insurance texas

Truck Insurance in the Lone Star State

The Texas highways are bustling with commercial trucks daily, each carrying vital goods and playing a crucial role in our economy. But with the open road comes unforeseen risks. It's imperative for truck owners and operators in Texas to understand the importance of securing the right insurance. Fortunately, you've come to the right place. We are professionals in commercial truck insurance in Texas, and we're here to guide you every step of the way.

Understanding Key Coverages
  • Auto Liability

    A foundational coverage, auto liability protects you from the financial blow of at-fault accidents, covering injury and property damage to third parties.

  • Cargo Coverage

    Ensure the goods you transport are protected. Cargo coverage offers financial protection in case the commodities you're hauling get damaged or lost.

  • Physical Damage

    Protect your investment. This covers the cost of repairs or replacement of your truck and trailer if it gets damaged in an accident, theft, or other events.

Commercial Truck Insurance Cost Considerations in Texas

The cost of truck insurance in Texas varies based on multiple factors, including the truck's type, its cargo, and your driving history. However, we pride ourselves on offering competitive rates. Partnered with top carriers in the state, we ensure quality coverage at the best prices.

Whether you're in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, or a quiet corner in the Panhandle, we've got you covered. Our network spans every city in Texas, ensuring coverage no matter where you operate.

Texas Insurance Requirements

In Texas, commercial truck operators must meet specific state-mandated insurance requirements.

Cargo Insurance

Cargo coverage protects against the loss or damage of the goods that truck drivers are transporting. Specific requirements can vary based on contracts or broker demands, and some specialized hauls may have distinct stipulations.

For intrastate household goods movers, Texas does impose specific cargo insurance requirements. Additionally, if you're involved in interstate commerce, federal regulations might come into play, especially for certain types of commodities.

Federal Filings

If you're operating a trucking business in Texas and you're involved in interstate commerce then there are specific federal filings you need to be aware of. Here's a quick breakdown:

  • USDOT Number: A unique ID for commercial vehicles crossing state lines.
  • MC Number: Needed for for-hire carriers transporting across state lines.
  • Unified Carrier Registration (UCR): An annual registration for interstate carriers.
  • BMC-32/BMC-34 Filings: Proofs of cargo insurance.
  • BMC-91/BMC-91X Filings: Proofs of liability insurance.
  • MCS-90: An endorsement for your insurance policy.
  • IRP: A plan for trucks operating in multiple states.
  • IFTA: Credentials for paying fuel taxes in multiple states or provinces.

For those who operate solely within Texas and have a truck that exceeds a certain Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), they're required to obtain a TXDMV Number.

Liability Coverage

Texas legislation mandates that local truckers maintain a specified level of liability insurance. The required amount is dependent on the type of cargo you transport and its destination. 

For the transport of household goods, the required coverage is $300,000 in liability insurance. For general freight, it's set at $500,000, while oil transport necessitates a coverage of $1,000,000. The transport of hazardous materials demands a significantly higher coverage at $5,000,000. Additionally, for intrastate household goods movers and interstate contract carriers, there's a cargo insurance requirement of $5,000 per vehicle and $10,000 per catastrophic event.

Different Trucks, Different Needs
minimum insurance coverages for a small business insurancehub

Every truck is unique, and so are its insurance needs. From flatbeds to refrigerated trucks, each has its risks and requirements.

  • Box Trucks: Often used for local deliveries and come with their specific set of risks.
  • Tanker Trucks: Transporting liquids, especially hazardous ones, requires special attention to coverage.
  • Tow Trucks: Operating in high-risk situations like busy highways or inclement weather.
  • Dump Trucks: Used in construction, they face risks from uneven terrains and heavy loads.

Understanding these differences ensures you get a policy that's tailored for your truck, ensuring full protection without overpaying.

Get started today

It's easy as a few taps.

We'll explain your business insurance options, offer our advice, and get you on your way to the commercial protection you need.