What is garage keepers insurance?
Simply put, Garage Keepers Insurance or Garagekeepers Legal Liability coverage is available for businesses that have service repair stations, body shops or towing services.
It's a form of bailee liability whose purpose is to protect your client's car, van, truck or motorcycle while you have it in your garage for parking, storing, or performing a service. Coverage typically protects the customers vehicle in case of fire, theft, vandalism or collision.
That is why you must keep the clients keys in a lock box so that you don't give the keys to the wrong driver! Make sure your parking lots have plenty of exterior lighting and either fences or exit chains to prevent vehicles from being stolen after hours.
Garagekeepers coverage offers three options:
- Legal Liability covers mechanics negligence: This means if your mechanic wrecks the car or you forgot to lock the car and it is vandalized, then you are covered.
- Direct Primary: This means your clients vehicle is protected whether it is due to mechanics negligence, theft that is not attributed to negligence or extreme weather loss.
- Direct Excess: This coverage is basically the same as "direct primary" coverage. It protects the client's vehicle no matter who is at fault. The difference is that it is to be paid only in excess of any amount collectible under the owner’s policy if the insured cannot be held legally liable.
What does a garage keepers insurance policy cover?
This policy is comprehensive, which means that it usually means anything other than collision or overturning the vehicle is covered. Check with our agents for more details on coverage.
What does garage keepers insurance not cover?
- Any contractual obligations that the dealer or service station has
- Loss to stereo equipment that is not permanently installed
- Loss of CD's and DVD's
- Loss of CB’s, mobile radios, telephones or scanners unless they are permanently installed in the dash or console
- Radar detection equipment.
- If the vehicle is stolen by the insured
- Any defective parts
- Faulty work
How to figure how much garage keepers insurance you will need:
A: What is the average cost of the vehicles that you work on?
B: What is the average number of vehicles that you have in your shop at any given time?
Multiply A x B to get your total coverage that you need. So, if the average car is $25,000 and you have 7 cars on hand at any given time, then you will need a $175,000 garage keepers insurance policy.