It’s that time of year again – time to set the clocks back one hour and get some extra time to sleep! Daylight Savings Time ends at 2 am on November 05 (Sunday morning), so don’t forget to “fall back” and put your clocks back an hour before going to bed Saturday night. But Daylight Savings Time means there’s something else you shouldn’t forget to do – it’s time to change the batteries in your smoke detectors. You should do this every six months, which is why it’s convenient to do at Daylights Savings when you set your clocks forward or back. It makes it easy to remember. Yes, it might seem tedious to buy new batteries and dig out the toolbox to change all the batteries in all the smoke alarms in your home, but we have a number of good reasons to do so. Home insurance might replace your home and your belongings, but obviously, it can’t replace lives.
According to the Red Cross, it can take as little as two minutes for a home to be engulfed in flames. It’s terrifying to think of how swift and devastating a house fire can be – one reason why you need to make sure you have enough home insurance. When a fire hits, the most important thing is the safety of you and your family. That’s why you and your loved ones need to be prepared – when a fire starts, time is precious. Everyone needs to know what to do when the smoke detector goes off or they smell smoke. For everyone to get out of the house and to safety as quickly as possible, you need to have a family fire escape plan. We’ve got a few tips to help you put together your fire escape plan and keep your family safe.
Having a washer and dryer in your home is definitely a modern convenience.
It’s certainly better than beating laundry on a rock down by the river, isn’t it? While doing laundry at home can be a blessing, did you know that it carries potential dangers too? Here is the thing: in the recent year, there were an estimated 16,800 reported U.S. home structure fires involving clothes dryers or washing machines. Sadly, there were 51 civilian deaths and 380 civilian injuries. The insurance companies sent out claims checks for almost $236 million for repairing direct property damage as a result of clothes dryer fires.
If you own a laptop or desktop computer, then read closely. Who would think that a laptop could catch fire.
The facts are surprising.
In 2007-2011, there were an estimated 730 reported U.S. home structure fires involving office equipment per year, resulting in:
- 11 civilian deaths per year
- 51 civilian injuries per year
- $28 million in direct property damage per year
*Updated on July 18, 2017.
When it’s hot and muggy outside, we become truly thankful for air conditioner systems! It’s hard to imagine what life was like before they invented AC. When it’s 98 degrees in August and the humidity is 100%, you’d give anything to turn the air conditioner on. This can lead to a problem: air conditioner fires.
A 2016 report from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) gives some somber statistics. In 2014, air conditioning, fans, or related equipment were involved in an estimated 7,800 reported U.S. home structure fires. Sadly 50 people died and 260 were sent to the hospital with injuries.
Is there anything you can do to prevent lightning storm fires?
Think back to when you were a kid. What did you do when you heard thunder and saw lightning fill up the sky? Hide under the covers? Run to your parent’s room? Today, as adults we know and respect the power and danger of a lightning storm.
Fire has captured the imagination of men since the beginning of civilization. Combine that with the curiosity of a child and you have a deadly combination.
Between the years 2007 and 2011, an average of 7,100 home structure fires per year were caused by children play with lighters and matches. Sadly, every year an average of 77 people die in their homes because of these fires and another 750 are sent to the emergency room because of injuries. This causes approximately $172 million in property damage annually.
Are you using these proven safety tips with your wood stove to prevent house fires?
Nothing is warmer and cozier than sitting in front of a wood burning stove or fire place. If you never had a wood stove, then you don’t know what you are missing. Wood stoves radiate heat throughout the room so effectively that many decide to place them in their basement so the heat rises and heats the entire house. This raises the question of their safety.
Prevent House Fires using these space heater safety tips
As winter draws near you might want to take out your little space heater to take the chill out of the morning air.
Well, STOP. Don’t do anything until you read this first.